MDU Cable Technician (Canada-wide)
VistaCare Communications is a leading technology solutions provider for a wide range of businesses and organizations. We are currently seeking experienced and motivated MDU Cable Technicians to join our National operations across Canada for permanent, full-time positions. Cable Technicians are involved in all facets of maintaining a cable system such as through installing, repairing, programming, and upgrading cable infrastructure.
These positions may require travel on a rotational basis and candidates are welcome to apply from any province. The work may be local or require travel depending on the location of the applicant.
VistaCare Communications is an equal opportunity employer, welcoming applications from people with disabilities. Any applicant who may require accommodations are encouraged to discuss this with their recruiter.
- Installation of fibre optic cables in new and existing buildings
- Demonstrates the ability to identify and document all cables and equipment appropriately
- Safe and efficient utilization of hand and portable tools in an indoor/outdoor environment
- Ability to drill all building types and install: raceway, EMT, PVC or micro duct
- Ability to connectorize single mode fibre as per manufacturer/customer standards
- Knowledge of building and electrical code
- Ability to read blueprints and building plans and document daily records, reports and hours worked
- Perform fibre optic testing (OTDR/power meter) and accurately record test results
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Effective listening, teamwork, and writing abilities
- Understand, adhere to, and promote environmental, health & safety practices
- Ability to test, analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve complex issues
- Ability to manage workload and to ensure jobs are completed on time and on budget
- Job planning skills according to desired timelines, including the dissection of blueprints
- Strong manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, confined spaces, isolation
- Ability to work in a physically demanding atmosphere including, but is not limited to: carry, raise and climb a ladder, carry, lift and handle heavy equipment and/or tooling.
- Self-disciplined, motivated and organized
- Preference will be given to those with fibre optic splicing experience
- Supervisory or team lead experience is considered an asset
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract
- Willingness to work overtime, weekends, or on emergency call outs as required
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal record check
- Competitive compensation based on experience and skill level
- 50% employer paid comprehensive group benefits (health, dental, vision, insurance)
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Employer-match RRSP group plan