Financial Controller (Bedford, NS)
Established in 2003, the VistaCare Communications team provides telecommunications network infrastructure services across Canada. With Company service offerings such as Design Engineering, Construction Builds, Inside Cabling, Underground Cabling, and Project Management, VistaCare Communications offers its telecom industry customers solid multi-factor solutions to network expansion challenges.
This is an opportunity to join a relentless team of professionals who are on a quest for excellence and efficiency. Over the past 3 years, our core strategy for our Finance team we have deployed while we scaled the business was to establish effective financial controls, processes, and best in class reporting methodologies. We are currently looking for a Financial Controller to join our dynamic team in this full-time position, based out of our Head Office in Bedford, Nova Scotia and with a start date as soon as possible. This position will be an integral part of our Finance team as we embark on the next phase of our growth.
Reporting to and working with the Vice President (VP) of Finance, you will manage the day-to-day activities of the accounting team and functions for the organization. You will lead a team of individuals with a focus on timely and accurate reporting and encourage a culture of team collaboration and feedback. If you enjoy a fast-paced environment of exciting Company growth, leading and developing people, and directly contributing to the financial health of a company, then we would like to hear from you.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, which includes billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cost accounting, Payroll, and inventory accounting;
- Perform month-end financial close functions through timely preparation of financial statements for review with VP of Finance and the Leadership Team;
- Review all general ledger balances and ensure that adequate reconciliations are completed;
- Working with the VP of Finance, organize and provide assurance around all Work-In-Progress specifics and ensure working papers support general ledger values;
- Ensure the monthly billing cycle is per established procedures and customer invoices are issued on a timely basis;
- Support payroll preparation and review of same;
- Monitor accounts receivable and establish/improve processes to ensure timely collections;
- Manage the accounts payable process and ensure payment of Vendors within established terms;
- Management and forecasting of cash flow and regular reporting of same;
- Maintain fixed asset listing and tracking system;
- With the VP of Finance, manage government tax filings and ensure all are completed in an accurate and timely fashion, complying with government reporting requirements;
- Work with our external audit firm on preparation and completion of the annual audit;
- Along with the VP of Finance, maintain positive and pro-active relationships with Company lenders, insurers, and professional advisors;
- Support strategic decisions via sound business analysis for special projects, capital expenditures, product costing, etc.;
- Establish and drive team goals and execute on performance improvements;
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures;
- Verify compliance with accounting standards and regulations;
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills;
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with employees at all levels throughout the organization;
- Strong analytical, financial modeling and problem-solving skills and experience;
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent time management;
- Self-motivated and adaptable.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance/Accounting/Business Administration;
- CPA designation or working towards same;
- 3+ years of progressive experience in end-to-end business processes and managing an accounting team;
- Strong experience and skill set in budgeting, forecasting, and reporting;
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 is required;
- Experience with Jonas construction software would be considered an asset.
- Annual salary depending on experience and skill level;
- 50% employer paid comprehensive group benefits (health, dental, vision, insurance);
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP);
- Employer-match RRSP group plan.