Outside Plant Engineer / Fibre Designer
VistaCare Communications is a leading technology solutions provider for a wide range of businesses and organizations. We are currently seeking an Outside Plant (OSP) Engineer / Fibre Designer to join our operations in a permanent, full-time position based out of our head office in Bedford, NS.
The Outside Plant (OSP) Engineer / Fibre Designer works to support the design and construction (both aerial and underground) of telecommunication networks.
- Produce fibre designs of proposed telecommunications networks
- Creation of underground and aerial conduit plans, and subsequent posting of plans to client’s systems
- Incorporating safety into all aspects of designs
- Relies upon information collected during a route or site walk down to collect data of all surface features and underground utility data necessary to support the preparation of the construction drawings that are complete and suitable for construction
- Layout and design of the telecommunication network elements in accordance with the network design criteria
- Analyze, understand and design various project requests from customer to build or modify outside plant infrastructure for both commercial and residential locations
- Reading and interpreting fibre network design drawings
- Develop and define optimum fibre designs
- Perform right of way and route assessments to confirm the route corridor is acceptable and can be built in the most cost-effective manner
- Reading and interpreting outside plant records (data, maps)
- Collaborating with team members from other divisions to overcome project challenges and issues
- Detail oriented with good organizational and time management skills
- Must be able to prioritize and re-prioritize as needed in a fast-paced working environment, especially when dealing with time sensitive issues and mandated deadlines
- Capability to compartmentalize different standards for each client.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and drawings
- Working knowledge of CAD software
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- General understanding of construction documents, drawings, and specifications
- Knowledge of current construction practices considered an asset
- Highly analytical and proven problem-solving abilities
Experience in Telecommunications or specifically Fibre to the Home design is an asset, but not required.
- Valid driver’s license and reasonable driver abstract
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal record check
- This is an office-based position, however some minimal travel may be required from time to time to conduct site walks and field detailing when needed
- Competitive compensation based on experience and skill level
- 50% employer paid comprehensive group benefits (health, dental, vision, insurance)
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP)